Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Loving people, loving God here in Hilo

We are on our lunch break here in Hilo. We have been staying at a church called the Lighthouse which is the name of my church back home. We are staying in the upstairs of a building attached to the sanctuary. This is the most used church I have ever seen. In the daytime there is an amazing preschool being run. We have been serving in all the classes just loving on the kids. We painted a classroom for the church. One of our team painted scripture on the wall. I'll post a picture when I get back to campus. We were in charge of the chapel service for the kids. We did an improve skit on David and Goliath. Had the older kids laughing and the two year olds crying. Taught them a new song too. We've been having team building times together. It's been good to get to know each other before we get to China. I love my team. We are growing close to each other. Mike and I led devotions and felt led to proclaim a blessing over each youth and encourage them in the potential we see in their lives. We ended it with prayer for each one of them. It was such a privilege to serve them in this way. They even knelt before us. So sweet! The girls got to make home made cards for the Saturday night church service. They like to give welcome cards to new people with a Starbucks gift certificates inside.It was such an honour to be able to bless this new church being started. EVeryone of us love what they are doing to reach this age group of 20 to 30 year olds that tend to get overlooked. It was fun letting our creative juices flow stamping the cards. Maelyn and I have been sleeping with the girls in a big room they use for a lounge. She's loving it being with the girls having pyjama parties every night. Mike has been sleeping with the guys in a room that is used for rock climbing. We have the use of the entire upstairs. The pastor has his office up here. The youth group decorated it for him. It's a crazy room. There is a huge room up here with a pool table, air hockey and screen projector. This room is used every night for something. One night was hula dance lessons. We learned how to hula to a Christmas song . It's the most awesome way to worship God because hula tells a story. I have never seen such sacrificial giving as I have the last seven weeks here. I don't know if you know this but everyone at youth with a mission is a volunteer. So that means no one gets paid. People have given up two years, or five months or in some cases their entire life to invest in others. From the chef in the kitchen who prepares meals for 400, to the office secretaries, to the maintainence guys, to the teachers. Each one pays a fee towards the upkeep of the campus. i can't find the words to tell you how that makes me feel. To think that staff is paying out of their pockets to invest in my life. Their reward is to be a part of changed lives for
God throughout the nations. It's so opposite to the way the world functions out of selfishness. Some of them are young enough to be my children but so mature in Jesus that it humbles me to be in their presence.

We have a favourite song we sing here. Hillsong recorded this past July. I'll see if I can find the words.
God is mighty to save!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home